CNET On Cars – Top 5 fuel saving technologies (2013)

Modern cars are getting much better gas mileage these days, and these are the technologies that make that happen – and save you money at the gas pump.

CNET On Cars - Top 5 fuel saving technologies (2013)

45 thoughts on “CNET On Cars – Top 5 fuel saving technologies (2013)

• August 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I really learn something here… and I am bad at cars knowledge.

• August 27, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I thought cars were lighter than they were 30 years ago.. they sure look it

• August 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm

The world don't know what they're missing when it comes to electric technology…
    *cough cough* Tesla model S *cough cough*

• August 27, 2013 at 6:52 pm

i drive a Jetta TDI. hate the driving dynamics but love the efficiency – typically get 800 Kms on a tank with my DSG on sports mode… and can easily get 1000Kms if i am coasting on a hwy. Hoping my next car can be BMW 328d.

• August 27, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I always wondered howcome every time I ask a friend about American car brands they say that they are pieces of shit and breakdown everywhere lol

• August 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Make a video on which fuels are best for our cars. I stick with chevron fuel because it's advertised as "high quality" but I wonder if there is something better for a better price for my car to get better mpg

• August 29, 2013 at 9:16 pm

My dad has a diesel Mercedes GL350 and its pretty slow, certainly slower than my e350

• August 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Not true. I drive a jetta tdi… chevy just came out with a chevy cruze diesel

• August 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I'm an American and I've been pining for diesel for a looooong time…and why are there no diesel hybrids? I would love a turbo diesel hybrid minivan, that checks all my boxes for the family needs… NOW GET ON IT DAMMIT!

• September 1, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Desel is more expensive from regular gas in the US. This is the main reason Americans are not using desel by the end this will be the same price

• September 22, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Actually, I passed by a 76 gas station and the premium gas costs $4.19 while the diesel costs $4.13. So, diesel is becoming a bi t more affordable. BTW, if you want to buy cheaper fuel, look for ARCO or Costco and avoid Chevron and Mobil.

• September 22, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I know. In fact, this Top 5 list is so different than the last time they mode a video of the same topic. BTW, diesels use common rail direct injection and a turbocharger, so, technically, direct injection is number 1 on this list.

• November 6, 2013 at 1:03 am

I wish he would have put in the guy who in 1973 invented a carburetor which made the car go about with 73 mpg, but sunoco gasoline, bought out his patent, so they would not drastically lose money.

• October 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm

The biggest problem with diesels is that they are really expensive, and negate the fuel savings for someone who does not drive 100k a year. On the other hand, they are still more expensive when u sell.

• October 25, 2014 at 6:23 pm

The CVT is crap. I have friends and family who have/had cars with cvt. For example a nissan murano guzzles almost 2x as much gas as a normal auto in real life, and we are not talking about any aggressive driving.

• December 24, 2014 at 1:00 am

In Belgium 80percent of the cars are diesel. But they want it to shift… because yes it emits much less emissions but more particulates wich are bad for people.

• April 26, 2015 at 10:59 pm

lol my VW TOURAN 2.0 TDI turbo diesel 2000 KG
    with AC on   60 litters of diesel gets me 1000 km !
     so something like 60 mpg

So long americana

• August 30, 2015 at 4:58 am

Americans don't like Diesel because most of us are characterized by unparalleled stupidity and willful ignorance.

• September 16, 2015 at 6:41 pm

I am american I just bought a Golf TDI and love it. The gas station around my house has diesel for 25 cents more then regular, that makes it cheaper the mid-grade, and premium.

• September 25, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Diesel sucks. It's STILL stinkey, and very bad for humans.

• October 11, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Diesels are still pretty expensive to buy, and a lot of gas stations don't even offer diesels, so when traveling, you can't just stop at any station.

• January 8, 2016 at 3:12 am

diesel is also very expensive. yeah you may go longer distances…but that is off-put by the fuel cost depending on how much diesel costs

• January 25, 2016 at 8:00 pm

#6: The best way to save fuel is know how to control your right foot. Stop driving like a maniac and you will get an amazing fuel economy.

• February 21, 2016 at 11:02 am

I have a 2012 Audi A-3 custom S-Line with a 2.4L 4 cyl. I love it, great power and even better savings. I wanted to buy a 2016 Audi Q-5 prestige TDI. But after I signed all the paperwork the whole VW scandal broke loose. Audi told me I could not get a TDI, so they referenced me to the 3.0L petrol. God damn I love that Q-5. Same engine as the Carerra-S's, same turbos, and supercharger. The F'er is fast; I love to go to the track flip her into sport mode and get up to 180 mph with ease.

• April 19, 2016 at 8:33 pm

And Diesel fuel is a little more expensive. Humans are more concerned with immediate gratification

• June 12, 2016 at 9:10 pm

also, turbocharging, direct injection, 0w-20 oil, electric power steering, water pump & a/c compressor, and 8 or 9 spd transmissions.

• June 13, 2016 at 5:02 am

Diesel is dope. It's stupid Americans hate diesel as that should be the future.

• January 6, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I don't know anyone who still has that opinion about new diesel cars…

• March 8, 2017 at 4:42 pm

I have a friend drive the invention of an economic environment strong idea integrate motors, for example, one of four cylinders Delete two petrol and two pneumatic output of the Turbo Charge with modifications inside the engine idea Jhnmh the cost of the study 24 months I hope to cooperate with the cars maker WhatsApp 00212680440008

• July 19, 2017 at 6:44 pm

have a diesel sound like a Mercedes AMG or a Maserati and i'd consider. Right now they just humm. Borrrring

• January 27, 2018 at 5:01 pm

You guys forgot to mention electric steering systems that can help another 7% fuel savings per year

• March 20, 2018 at 11:08 am

How about Mazda Skyactive oppose engine?dit it saves lot of fuel?

• March 25, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Wow, time is rough… 2013, we were so wrong about diesel… but how were we to know they were lying/cheating the whole time?

• April 3, 2018 at 10:34 pm

How do the diesel claims still hold up after VW dieselgate?

• August 10, 2018 at 6:02 am

That diesel one didn’t age well at all