Oppo calls its HA-1 a headphone amp, we call it pure audiophile awesomeness

The only way the folks at Oppo could outdo their own PM-1 headphone premiere was to back it up with a no-holds-barred headphone amplifier. Boy, are we sure glad they did. The HA-1 is really something to behold. Straight out of the box, you can tell that the quality of materials, engineering and manufacturing that went into this piece of electronics is on par with some of the best stuff out there.

We’re not at all surprised . Oppo makes some of the most revered universal disc players on the market, and the HA-1 appears to be the culmination of everything the company has learned in the past few years. The HA-1 offers modern conveniences like an icon-based display screen, balanced inputs and outputs, multiple digital inputs, a massive toroidal transformer, balanced and unbalanced headphone outputs, and much, much more. Take a look at our video to get up close with the HA-1, and find out why it’s way more than just a headphone amp.

Also, click here to check out our video of the PM-1 headphones:

Oppo calls its HA-1 a headphone amp, we call it pure audiophile awesomeness

16 thoughts on “Oppo calls its HA-1 a headphone amp, we call it pure audiophile awesomeness

• June 2, 2014 at 1:22 am

Very nice, too bad no Ethernet/Wireless input, to use with a NAS storage of music.

• June 5, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I was going to buy this and put it next to my laptop, until I read everywhere that the unit runs very hot because of the class A operation of the preamp. Too bad. I need a cool running unit on my desk.

• August 2, 2014 at 3:50 am

iPhone, are you kidding me, just by saying that diminishes your credibility. iPhone can't handle HiRes audio files, and most of their music downloads are of a lower bit rate. Very annoying when you have the audacity to do a review about something like this and you use an iPhone for the sound source, seriously unbelievable!

• October 9, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Is it worth selling off my Audiolab M-DAC for this? They both use the same ES9018 DAC.

• June 6, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Love that Spectrum Analyzer display, they should put it on ANY STEREO AMPLIFIER!

It reminds me of retro look from 80'-90'. On rainy nights probably looks awesome. 🙂

• January 26, 2016 at 2:13 am

Might have to save up for this. Looks perfect for my wants. Great looking all in one. XLR Preamps. Powerful Class A headphone amp preamps. Only hard choice is which color to get.

• July 5, 2016 at 8:22 pm

it is a colored amp headphone amp or a flat natural and reference grade headphone amp?

• December 13, 2016 at 2:17 am

Fine review Digital Trends, this feature rich all-in-one headphone amp may be a good alternative to some one (friend now) who can benefit from multiple inputs/outputs but don't wish to shell out more money for the Auralic mk2 or Simaudio 430 HA.

• January 7, 2017 at 8:09 pm

I can`t bluetooth pair my Galaxy s5 and s7 with my OPPO HA-1, and when paired with a iphone the sound is stuttering.

Does anyone else have this problem?? In the manuel it says in can pair with any bluetooth mobile, ipad or pc device.
    Is there a easy fix for this?

• August 27, 2017 at 5:43 pm

If it's so GREAT, why did they stop making this unit???? So pissed off, since I was about to purchase it.

• February 11, 2018 at 12:03 pm

If I saw someone analog jump this amp from a phone I would go insane, at least use OTG. And for Gods sake, dont bluetooth it.

• March 23, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Would any of you recommend this as a substitute for a home theatre by any chance? It's always been a dream of mine to build my own home theatre and have some amazing cinema like speakers but I live in an apartment (with thin walls) and it's frustratingly just not practical. I'm considering alternatives to a home theatre as I can't really move home in my current situation and it seems either an expensive soundbar or really great headphones like these are the only real alternatives.

Soundbars don't really appeal to me as I wan't a true surround sound experience without risking pissing off my neighbours so this really seems like the only practical alternative.
    I'm currently using a sharkoon S7 surround sound headset as my main audio source which is perfectly fine for the money I paid for them but I'm really curious how these compare not only to my headset but to an actual home theatre and if they give a surround sound experience or if it's just pure stereo.